Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Labyrinth at Princeton Harbor

Created by Lars Howlett and friends, Spring Equinox 2009
Over the last several years, I have fallen in love with labyrinths.  My fun project for this fall is to photograph labyrinths around San Francisco, starting with one a mile away from my house.  It appeared about a year ago, overlooking the harbor at Princeton-by-the-Sea.  Maintained by invisible hands, I have also started to arrange the stones and sweep when I am there.

 
For me, meditation is the state of open-heart and open-mind; when body, mind, and emotions are aware and calm.  I include labyrinths in my meditation classes.  People are often surprised that you can meditate while moving, having come to the conclusion that it is necessary to sit absolutely still to achieve enlightenment.  (Half-smile)  In truth, we are moving all the time, with our breath, our pulse, the electrical currents running through our nerves. The dance stops when our inner rhythm section stops keeping the beat.  Rather than trying to control the body by blocking movement, we can relax into the motion and learn to walk in a meditative state all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and making the time to post a comment. Your message will appear shortly.